Thursday, September 13, 2012

9.12.2012


Last night I was treated to a free dinner at the illustrious Wright Quad Food Court. Although some might argue that Wright Quad Food Court is perhaps one of the 10 wonders of the “what one shouldn’t eat” community, I, with fork and spoon, unabashedly devoured my baked ziti, breadstick, rice, and yogurt. Was it healthy? Ehhhh, I suppose that’s up for debate. Was it worth it? Um , did I tell you what I got to eat? Of course it was worth it. All I can say is that I pity the fool who truly believed that there’s no such thing as a free diner (or lunch). When you know the right people, anything is possible.

It just so happens that the “right people” in my case, was a good friend of mine.  Every once in a while I feel like everyone should try the following: 

·         Put everything aside and take a deep breath (not that deep)
·         Find a friend of yours, maybe one you haven’t spoken to in a while
·         Ask them to grab something to eat (Hopefully they live in a residence hall and have meal points)
·         Catch up and talk out what’s on your mind

Last night, I was reminded of how helpful a genuine conversation can be. I’ll tell you that there are few things more exciting than talking about something you’re passionate about with someone who is just as passionate about it as you are. My friend, who is also interested in teaching and who herself considered Teach for America, listened as I blabbered on about ways I might fail, other options I was considering, and possibilities I didn’t even think existed several months ago. We talked, for instance, about classroom management, an area with which I feel I might struggle. It was nice hearing that someone else had the same qualms about managing a class. My friend, however, assured me that if you stand in front of a class and say “I can wait” when the class gets too loud, silence will immediately follow. I’m still waiting to test that theory. Either way, it was nice to hear that somebody had the answers.

It was also nice to just talk out some anxieties that the both of us were feeling. I don’t if some wise man ever said this, but I’m going to throw it out there: Out of a shared fear, comes an even stronger hope.  Knowing that someone as confident, smart, and put together as my friend was just as worried  was encouraging. It’s a paradox, if you think about it. Everybody wants to believe that they, as an individual, carry with them a unique set of fears, hopes, and desires that nobody else can possibly understand. Yet, at the same time, there is no greater comfort, I feel, than knowing that someone else feels just like you do.

Well, I’ve almost finished this Teach for America Application. I’m just working on tailoring my resume. I also started an application to Vanderbilt’s Higher Education Administration program. ). I’ve always thought it would be fun to work at a college/university in their recruitment office. Trust me, I know  I’m juggling quite a few aspirations (for the complete lack of a better analogy). It’s exciting, but I can’t help but worry that perhaps I’ve overestimated how much I can juggle. We’ll see.  I’ll let you know when I’ve dropped the ball so to speak.

Today’s moral: There is such thing as a free dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment